Thursday, March 31, 2011

Just when I think all is well...

So, in a previous post, I talked about the Dave Ramsey 7 Baby Steps. One of the first steps is to get $1,000 in an emergency fund. (Or $500 if you make below $20,000 per year) 

In that post I used the example that if your car breaks down than you wouldn't have to worry because you'd have the funds to pay for the repairs right?

Well..... my car broke down this week. We had to replace both power steering hoses because of leaks and apparently they are pretty complicated to reinstall in a Focus. Normally, I would be freaking out, crying, and scrambling to come up with $450 to pay for my car repairs and trying to work any small jobs I could find. However, I didn't have to freak out or shed one tear over this repair.


Now I understand why you want an emergency fund first. We didn't have to worry, and it didn't impact our monthly budget at all. We just paid for it, and that was that. Worry free

Cool huh?

(ps $6291 left on my car... yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment